4 min

Ten-man Barnet claimed a battling 1-0 FA Cup First Round upset over League One Burton Albion at The Hive.

Wes Fonguck grabbed the only goal of the game as the Bees, who reached the Fourth Round last season, bagged another memorable cup win.

Michael Petrasso produced some magic down the left as his cross was knocked down for Fonguck to fire into the top corner from the edge of the box just 10 minutes in.

Barnet were forced to dig deep for the victory, playing the entire second-half with 10 men after Matt Preston was dismissed just before the break for wrestling Niall Ennis to the ground.

Meanwhile, Hayes & Yeading United were a matter of moments away from making FA Cup history as they watched a two-goal extra-time lead slip before losing 4-3 on penalties at home to League Two side Carlisle United.

The Southern League Premier Division South side had gone 2-0 up courtesy of excellent goals from Omar Rowe and Amos Nasha before Jon Mellish netted a brace at the death to take the game to penalties.

Hayes & Yeading’s Jack Williams was first to miss from the spot before Lewis Alessandra did the same for Carlisle as his effort found the woodwork.

Further misses were exchanged before Gavin Reilly bagged the decisive penalty to see Carlisle progress to the next round by the skin of their teeth.

READ MORE: Hampton & Richmond Borough search for some FA Cup magic in these dark Coronavirus-hit times

Hampton & Richmond Borough were also edged out by League Two opposition, losing 3-2 to Oldham Athletic at the Beveree Stadium.

The Latics went in front after just six minutes through Ben Garrity before Sam Deadfield confidently beat Ian Lawlor from the penalty spot after the Oldham goalkeeper had upended Ruaridh Donaldson.

Oldham struck again just before the interval as Bobby Grant converted Dylan Fage’s low cross before Danny Rowe made it 3-1 in the 49th minute.

Deadfield reduced Hampton & Richmond’s deficit with 16 minutes to go before the National League South side were reduced to 10 men in stoppage time when Tyrell Miller-Rodney was shown a red card for a second bookable offence after pushing Cameron Borthwick-Jackson.

Cray Valley Paper Mills are also out after losing 1-0 to Havant and Waterlooville in a game of few chances.

Midfielder Bedsente Gomis scored the only goal in the 18th minute with Havant having to play the final half hour with only 10 men after midfielder Godfrey Poku was sent off for a second bookable offence.

In Saturday’s action, Charlton Athletic suffered a surprise 1-0 defeat to fellow League One side Plymouth Argyle at The Valley.

Luke Jephcott’s 60th-minute strike proved the difference as the Addicks’ six-game winning streak came to an end.

Leyton Orient are also out of the competition after losing 2-1 to fellow League Two side Newport County at Brisbane Road.

Ashley Baker had put the visitors ahead only for Hector Kyprianou to level for the O’s before Jamie Devitt’s stunning long-range strike sealed the win.

READ MORE: National League clubs already live hand to mouth – they’ll fold without match day supporters

There was better news for Dagenham & Redbridge though, reaching the Second Round after a late flurry of goals earned them a 3-1 win over Grimsby Town.

Scott Wilson scored twice and Mitch Brundle added a stoppage-time penalty with Owen Windsor on target for Grimsby from the spot.

However, Bromley won’t be joining them after losing 1-0 to National League rivals Yeovil Town after extra-time.

Gabby Rogers volleyed a winner in stoppage time of extra-time when it seemed penalties would decide a tie in which Bromley were down to 10 men after Harry Forster’s 68th minute dismissal.

Hire Us

Like what we do? Get in touch and see what we can do for you!

Support Us on Patreon

Find out more about us here and if you like our articles please check out our Patreon page.