FA Cup London Clubs Match Report Round-Up: Fourth Round

3 min

West Ham United survived a major scare to book their place in the FA Cup Fifth Round and break non-league Kidderminster Harriers’ hearts.

Jarrod Bowen struck with virtually the last kick of extra-time as the Hammers sealed a narrow 2-1 win at Aggborough.

They had needed Declan Rice’s injury-time leveller to force the extra 30 minutes after it looked like Kidderminster, 113 places below their Premier League opponents, would pull off an almighty cup shock when Alex Penny had given them a first-half lead.

Meanwhile, Kepa Arrizabalaga’s penalty heroics helped Chelsea avoid a shoot-out as the Blues edged past Plymouth 2-1 after extra-time at Stamford Bridge.

Macaulay Gillesphey headed Plymouth into an early lead before Cesar Azpilicueta equalised via a fine backheel finish just before half-time.

Marcos Alonso thought he had settled the tie with a neat finish in extra-time, only for the League One side to battle back and force one more opening with Ryan Hardie’s last-gasp spot-kick.

But Kepa kept his cool to conjure a fine save on a day where Chelsea markedly missed Thomas Tuchel after the Blues head coach tested positive for Covid-19.

Championship pace-setters Fulham are out of the competition after losing 4-1 to Premier League leaders Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium.

Pep Guardiola’s side were stunned as Fabio Carvalho opened the scoring after just four minutes but soon levelled through Ilkay Gundogan.

John Stones then headed the hosts ahead as the frantic start continued before Riyad Mahrez put the result beyond doubt with two efforts – the first from the penalty spot – early in the second period.

READ MORE: Thomas Frank’s new deal should help reset Brentford’s focus during the Premier League winter break

Brentford also lost 4-1 as Frank Lampard took control of Everton for the first time at Goodison Park.

The hosts took the lead with a headed goal from Yerry Mina before Richarlison doubled their advantage shortly after half-time.

Ivan Toney then halved the deficit through a second-half penalty before goals from Mason Holgate and Andros Townsend made sure of the win.

Elsewhere, Harry Kane scored twice for Tottenham in a 3-1 win over Brighton at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

The England captain bagged in either half with Spurs also benefiting from Solly March’s first-half own goal while Brighton’s solitary strike came from Yves Bissouma in the second period.

High-flying QPR were knocked out by fellow Championship side Peterborough United, losing 2-0 at London Road.

READ MORE: Faysal Bettache, Sinclair Armstrong…could any of QPR’s youngsters help with the promotion push?

Goals from Joe Ward and substitute Ricky-Jade Jones settled the tie in what was a frustrating day for Mark Warburton’s Hoops.

And finally, Crystal Palace eased into the next round after first-half goals by Marc Guehi and Michael Olise downed Hartlepool at Selhurst Park.

Patrick Vieira’s side were 2-0 up inside 22 minutes and that was how it finished, despite their League Two opponents improving after the break.


Luton Town v Chelsea

Crystal Palace v Stoke City

Southampton v West Ham United

Middlesbrough v Tottenham Hotspur

Ties to be played week commencing Monday, February 28 

Hire Us

Like what we do? Get in touch and see what we can do for you!

Support Us on Patreon

Find out more about us here and if you like our articles please check out our Patreon page.