EFL London Clubs Match Report Round-Up: 15.01.22

2 min

Charlie Austin’s late winner against his former club gave QPR a 1-0 victory over promotion rivals West Bromwich Albion at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

Austin, on as a substitute, got in front of Taylor Gardner-Hickman to head Chris Willock’s cross into the far corner of the net with just a minute of the 90 remaining.

The result means Mark Warburton’s side are now above the Baggies in the table and up to fourth.

Fulham twice came from behind to claim a comprehensive 6-2 victory over Bristol City and return to the top of the Championship.

The Cottagers were caught cold in the seventh minute when Antoine Semenyo opened the scoring following a slightly delayed kick-off 

But Aleksandar Mitrovic headed them level after 21 minutes and although Semenyo restored the Robins’ lead just before the half hour mark with a long range effort, the hosts scored four unanswered goals before half-time.

Neeskens Kebano grabbed a second Fulham equaliser, who hit the front for the first time after 36 minutes thanks to Fabio Carvalho before Mitrovic bagged a hat-trick.

And Kebano then ensured there would be no fightback from the visitors when he struck after 57 minutes as Fulham leapfrogged Blackburn Rovers and AFC Bournemouth in the table.

Elsewhere, Millwall are nine points off the Play-Off places in 11th after a 1-0 defeat to Nottingham Forest at The Den.

The Lions dominated the opening period but after spurning a string of chances, were punished in stoppage-time through a Lewis Grabban strike.

In League One, AFC Wimbledon and Morecambe drew 0-0 in a tight relegation battle at Plough Lane.

Ayoub Assal came closest to breaking the deadlock but hit the bar late on in the Dons’ first home game for 42 days.

Meanwhile, Chuks Aneke’s last-gasp leveller earned Charlton Athletic a 1-1 draw at Cheltenham.

The returning forward, who signed for the Addicks for a second spell from Birmingham on the eve of the game, touched in from close range after Ryan Inniss’ downward header five minutes into added time.

Before that, Dan Nlundulu’s first goal for Cheltenham had looked to have been enough to seal a home victory.

And finally, Sutton United left it even later as Richard Bennett scored eight minutes into added time in a 3-3 draw at Stevenage.

Stevenage, who are fighting relegation, struck twice in six first-half minutes as Luke Norris’ opener was followed by a Jamie Reid header after a well-worked free-kick.

Reid scored again in between Alistair Smith’s strike and Robert Milsom’s 66th-minute spot-kick in a three-goal burst in nine second-half minutes, but Sutton’s persistence eventually paid off.

Hire Us

Like what we do? Get in touch and see what we can do for you!

Support Us on Patreon

Find out more about us here and if you like our articles please check out our Patreon page.