EFL London Clubs Match Report Round-Up: 25.09.21

3 min

Millwall earned a fourth successive Championship draw and a sixth from nine so far this season with a 1-1 scoreline at Nottingham Forest.

Matt Smith’s towering header had put the Lions in front in the 32nd minute during a first-half in which both sides had limited threat.

But seven minutes after the break, Max Lowe’s cross looped over the head of Millwall goalkeeper Bart Bialkowski and into the net off the inside of the far post.

Meanwhile, Fulham lost further pace with their promotion rivals after only managing to pick up a point away to Bristol City.

The Cottagers took a 50th minute lead when half-time sub Neeskens Kebano crossed from the left and Harry Wilson nodded across goal for Aleksandar Mitrovic to head in from close range.

But Bristol City refused to buckle and Kasey Palmer made it 1-1 with a volley from a narrow angle in the 79th minute after Fulham goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga had done brilliantly to palm out Chris Martin’s shot.

In Friday’s Championship game, QPR fell to a frustrating 2-1 defeat to high-flying West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns.

The Hoops took the lead within the opening minute when a through-ball by Moses Odubajo down the right caught the West Brom defence napping, putting Andre Gray clean through to slot past goalkeeper Sam Johnstone.

However, QPR keeper Seny Dieng allowed Karlan Grant’s shot to his near post to squirm from his grasp and into the net for West Brom’s equaliser in the 75th minute, before the forward grabbed a winner two minutes from time.

In League One, Charlton Athletic grabbed a late equaliser through Josh Davison in an enthralling 2-2 draw with Portsmouth at The Valley.

The visitors struck first in the sixth minute, Ronan Curtis curling an effort over the head of Charlton goalkeeper Craig MacGillivary and into the top corner from 25 yards.

Sean Clare equalised after a clever free-kick routine before Marcus Harness made it 2-1 in the 72nd minute.

And just when it seemed that it would be another defeat for the Addicks, Corey Blackett-Taylor crossed for Davison to salvage a point with three minutes of normal time remaining.

Meanwhile, AFC Wimbledon fell to a third defeat in a row and second in successive league matches following a four-game unbeaten run with a 2-1 loss at Shrewsbury Town.

Adedapo Awokoya-Mebude gave the visitors the lead just after the half-hour mark but goals from Luke Leahy and Daniel Udoh sealed the win for the Shrews.

READ MORE: Kent Teague on Leyton Orient’s ultimate goals, ‘perfect fit’ Kenny Jackett and playing footballing blackjack

In League Two, Sutton United made it three straight home wins with a 4-0 win against 10-man Carlisle at Gander Green Lane.

Alistair Smith’s first brace of his career was sandwiched in between Corey Whelan’s own goal and a fourth from David Ajiboye after substitute Manasse Mampala had been sent off for the Cumbrians.

And finally, Leyton Orient were held to a goalless draw by lowly Mansfield Town at Brisbane Road.

In a game of few clear cut chances, Mansfield also had Tyrese Sinclair sent-off in the 85th minute for violent conduct.

Hire Us

Like what we do? Get in touch and see what we can do for you!

Support Us on Patreon

Find out more about us here and if you like our articles please check out our Patreon page.