EFL London Clubs Match Report Round-Up: 27.02.21

2 min

Brentford came from behind to strengthen their automatic promotion push with a hard fought 2-1 win over Stoke City at the Brentford Community Stadium.

Vitaly Janelt equalised in the 56th minute after Jacob Brown had put the visitors ahead after just 27 seconds, but Ivan Toney’s 25th goal of the season secured the Bees a second successive victory.

Defeats for Swansea City and Watford moved the second-placed Bees three points clear of the chasing pack.

Elsewhere, QPR’s recent unbeaten run came to a sudden end with a 2-1 defeat away at Birmingham City.

Charlie Austin opened the scoring with a close-range volley a minute before the break before two late goals in three minutes turned the game on its head.

Kristian Pedersen levelled proceedings in the 82nd minute before Alen Halilovic scored a cracker to seal the win for the hosts.

Millwall’s own unbeaten run also came to an end with a similar 2-1 defeat at in-form Barnsley.

The game saw two goals inside the opening six minutes with Cauley Woodrow putting the Tykes ahead after two minutes before Mason Bennett equalised four minutes later.

However, Michal Helik grabbed the winner after 59 minutes, lashing a finely-struck volley past Lions goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski.

In League One, Charlton Athletic’s home horrors continued as they were comprehensively beaten 3-0 by Blackpool and had two players sent off in the process.

Deji Oshilaja clumsily brought down Ellis Simms with Jerry Yates converting the ensuing penalty after 10 minutes before Matty Virtue made it 2-0 after 37 minutes.

Darren Pratley was then sent-off for a second bookable offence just after half-time before Yates rounded off the scoring with another penalty before substitute Chuks Aneke also saw red for the Addicks.

READ MORE: Leyton Orient 1-3 Tranmere Rovers, League Two as Ross Embleton departs: report, ratings, reaction and verdict

Meanwhile, AFC Wimbledon dropped back into the relegation zone with a 3-0 home defeat to promotion chasing Hull City.

Josh Magennis put the Tigers ahead from the spot in the 24th minute and Reece Burke doubled the advantage a minute before the interval.

Mallik Wilks then stroked home a 64th-minute penalty to wrap up the points.

And in League Two, Leyton Orient parted company with head coach Ross Embleton after a 3-1 defeat at home to Tranmere Rovers.

Paul Lewis scrambled the ball home to put the visitors ahead at the break before goals from Kaiyne Woolery and Kieron Morris extended the advantage.

Jamie Turley’s effort for the O’s was only worthy of a consolation with Embleton leaving the side 14th in the table and without a victory in their last seven games.

Hire Us

Like what we do? Get in touch and see what we can do for you!

Support Us on Patreon

Find out more about us here and if you like our articles please check out our Patreon page.