EFL London Clubs Match Report Round-Up: 16.03.22

2 min

Benik Afobe scored both goals as Millwall closed in on the Championship Play-Off places with an impressive 2-0 victory over fellow promotion hopefuls Huddersfield Town.

The Lions moved within two points of the top six after extending their unbeaten run to eight games and making it five matches without conceding in the process.

However, it was a disappointing night for QPR who fell to a 3-1 defeat away to Nottingham Forest.

On-loan Watford striker Andre Gray had given the visitors a 1-0 lead at the break as he scored in a third successive game for the first time in six years.

But a spectacular Djed Spence long-range strike sparked a scintillating second-half comeback from Forest that was completed by strikes from Ryan Yates and Brennan Johnson.

In Tuesday night’s games, Championship leaders Fulham missed the chance to move further clear at the top after they were beaten 1-0 at West Brom.

The Baggies went close in the first-half when Karlan Grant’s effort was pushed onto the post by Marek Rodak before Callum Robinson finally made the breakthrough just after the hour.

Defeat for the Cottagers was only their second in 14 Championship games, and ended a run of 10 away league games unbeaten from October 2, 2021 when they lost 4-1 at Coventry.

In League One, Charlton Athletic’s seven-match winless spell was ended with a 1-0 victory over struggling Gillingham at The Valley.

Alex Gilbey’s first-half strike put the Addicks ahead in the 40th minute and settled a tense affair at The Valley.

In League Two, Leyton Orient’s winless run now stands at 16 games despite a commendable 1-1 draw away to leaders Forest Green Rovers.

Forest Green took an early lead through Mathew Stevens after 10 minutes before the O’s fought back through Ruel Sotiriou with 20 minutes left.

And finally, injury-hit Sutton United fell to a second successive league defeat, losing 2-1 at fellow promotion hopefuls Swindon Town.

Joshua Davison put Swindon in front after 14 minutes with Joe Kizzi heading in an equaliser shortly afterwards.

However, a Harry McKirdy strike gave the Robins the lead again early in the second-half with Louis Reed sent-off for a second caution late on.

Hire Us

Like what we do? Get in touch and see what we can do for you!

Support Us on Patreon

Find out more about us here and if you like our articles please check out our Patreon page.