EFL London Clubs Match Report Round-Up: 02.10.21

3 min

QPR came from behind to beat Preston North End 3-2 in a thrilling match at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

Lyndon Dykes’ early opener for the Hoops was cancelled out by goals from Emil Riis and Josh Earl before Jimmy Dunne’s 71st-minute effort dragged QPR back on level terms.

Ilias Chair then struck the winner 16 minutes from time to send Mark Warburton’s side into the international break on a healthy 18 points.

Meanwhile, Millwall ended a run of four successive away draws with a late winner to see off struggling Barnsley 1-0 at Oakwell.

A frantic and fast-paced opening period was followed by a scrappy second-half, until Murray Wallace headed home in the 88th minute to give Gary Rowett’s side all three points.

READ MORE: Coventry City 4-1 Fulham, Championship: report, ratings and verdict

And in the early Championship game, Fulham’s promotion hopes were dealt a blow with a crushing 4-1 defeat at Coventry City.

Kyle McFadzean headed an 18th-minute own goal to hand the Cottagers the lead before Coventry stormed back with Viktor Gykores levelling two minutes after the interval and Matt Godden giving them the lead four minutes later from the penalty spot.

Ian Maatsen then lashed a superb 61st-minute strike to give Coventry breathing space before Gykores wrapped up a magnificent comeback with his second of the game.

In League One, Charlton Athletic ended a run of six games without a victory by beating Fleetwood Town 2-1 at Highbury.

Jonathan Leko opened the scoring for the Addicks with a low drive shortly before the break before Danny Andrew hit a stunning free-kick early in the second-half.

But Jayden Stockley, who had only replaced Josh Davison seven minutes earlier, hit an emphatic winning goal with 20 minutes remaining.

Elsewhere, AFC Wimbledon left it late to salvage a point with a 1-1 draw against Burton Albion at Plough Lane.

Kane Hemmings punished a defensive mistake just past the hour mark to put the Brewers in front with Wimbledon then piling on the pressure in search of an equaliser.

And they were rewarded in the 89th minute through a Luke McCormick strike to prevent them from sliding to a fourth straight league defeat.

In League Two, Sutton United claimed their first-ever away win in the EFL with an impressive 2-0 win at Northampton Town.

Joe Kizzi and Donovan Wilson scored either side of half-time as Matt Gray’s team continued their superb form with a fourth win in five league games.

And finally, Leyton Orient were edged out 3-2 at Port Vale with two goals coming in stoppage time.

James Wilson had put the hosts ahead after just six minutes before Dan Jones’ own goal levelled the game on the hour mark.

Orient thought they had won it in the 86th minute through Tom James’ strike from distance before Dennis Politic’s 90th-minute equaliser and Jamie Proctor’s effort sealed the win for Port Vale.

Hire Us

Like what we do? Get in touch and see what we can do for you!

Support Us on Patreon

Find out more about us here and if you like our articles please check out our Patreon page.