Carabao Cup London Clubs Match Report Round-Up: First Round

2 min

Millwall brushed aside League Two Crawley Town to book a place in the Carabao Cup Second Round thanks to a 3-1 win at the Broadfield Stadium.

The Lions were good value for the victory with a free-flowing display against a Crawley side who suffered their first home defeat since November last year.

Scott Malone and Matt Smith were on target for the Lions either side of a Jordan Tunnicliffe own goal with Sam Ashford replying for the hosts.

Meanwhile Charlton Athletic are also through after beating League One rivals Swindon Town 3-1 at The County Ground.

Macauley Bonne put the Addicks in front with an impressive half-volley in the 36th minute before Jonny Smith equalised after 64 minutes.

Charlton reclaimed the lead 10 minutes later when Charlie Barker headed in from point-blank range before Chuks Aneke killed the contest in stoppage time by slamming home from a tight angle.

Elsewhere QPR were knocked out by newly-promoted League One side Plymouth Argyle, losing 3-2 at Home Park.

The Hoops took just 68 seconds to score as Ryan Manning headed home from a pinpoint Ilias Chair cross.

Argyle replied in the 32nd minute through Joe Edwards before going 2-1 up in the 55th minute through Danny Mayor.

QPR’s response was immediate with a thumping Osman Kakay drive before Frank Nouble’s brilliant 78th minute volley sealed the win for the underdogs.

READ MORE: Crawley Town 1-3 Millwall, Carabao Cup First Round: report, ratings and verdict

AFC Wimbledon are also out of the competition after losing 4-2 on penalties to Oxford United after drawing 1-1 in normal time.

Cameron Brannagan fired the hosts ahead on 63 minutes before the Dons levelled four minutes later when Ryan Longman’s close range effort was deflected.

Wimbledon may then have thought they were heading for a late win when they were awarded a penalty after Anthony Forde fouled Nesta Guinness-Walker in the box.

But Oxford keeper Simon Eastwood dived to his left to deny Anthony Hartigan before going on to save two spot-kicks in the resultant shoot-out.

However, there was better news for Leyton Orient as they came from behind to claim a 2-1 win at Forest Green Rovers.

The hosts took the lead through Dan Happe’s first-half own goal but two goals in quick succession soon after half-time from Danny Johnson and Conor Wilkinson saw Orient snatch victory.

Hire Us

Like what we do? Get in touch and see what we can do for you!

Support Us on Patreon

Find out more about us here and if you like our articles please check out our Patreon page.