EFL London Clubs Match Report Round-Up: 14.09.19

3 min

QPR held off a second-half fightback to beat Luton Town 3-2 and clinch a third consecutive Championship win.

Ebere Eze opened the scoring in the third minute, firing the ball into the top corner before Nahki Wells doubled the lead, controlling Toni Leistner’s ball over the top to slot a low shot past Luton goalkeeper Simon Sluga.

And Wells made it 3-0 inside 30 minutes as Eze’s through-ball put the forward clear to pass the ball into the net.

However, Luton were gifted a way back into the game in the 36th minute when QPR keeper Joe Lumley’s misplaced pass fell to Harry Cornick, who lifted a shot in from 35 yards.

And although James Collins pulled another back for the Hatters early in the second-half QPR held on.

Meanwhile, Fulham were denied all three points at home to West Bromwich Albion as Semi Ajayi’s 80th minute header cancelled out Anthony Knockaert’s strike.

Knockaert’s 49th minute goal, an excellent left-footed chip, looked to have earned all three points until Fulham keeper Marcus Bettinelli’s error allowed Ajayi to head home Matheus Pereira’s corner.

Elsewhere, Charlton Athletic’s unbeaten start to the season came to an end as they were defeated 1-0 by Birmingham City at The Valley.

READ MORE:How far can Lee Bowyer’s Charlton Athletic go this season?

Jude Bellingham’s second-half strike was enough to give the visitors all three points in an ill-tempered game that saw Addicks boss Lee Bowyer sent to the stands after a touchline disagreement over Birmingham’s alleged ‘time-wasting’.

There were also 2-0 away defeats for Millwall and Brentford, losing to Blackburn Rovers and Preston North End respectively.

For Millwall it is now four league games without a win as goals from Derrick Williams and Bradley Dack ensured Rovers three points against a Lions side that struggled to carve out any real chances of note.

And it was a similar story for Brentford as Sean Maguire and Tom Barkhuizen gave in-form Preston North End victory at Deepdale with the Bees lacking a cutting edge in the final third.

In League One, AFC Wimbledon had to settle for a point at home to Shrewsbury Town after Jason Cummings’ second-half strike for the visitors cancelled out Ethan Ebanks-Landell’s own goal.

And finally, Leyton Orient were denied an impressive win away at table toppers Exeter due to Nicky Law’s stoppage-time penalty for the Grecians.

Pierce Sweeney’s opener for the hosts was cancelled out by Lee Angol before Louis Dennis made it 2-1 for Leyton Orient.

But Law rescued a point as he converted an added time penalty after substitute Ben Seymour was fouled by Josh Coulson.

Hire Us

Like what we do? Get in touch and see what we can do for you!

Support Us on Patreon

Find out more about us here and if you like our articles please check out our Patreon page.