Charlton Athletic (4) 2-3 (4) Doncaster Rovers, League One Play-Off Semi-Final Second Leg: report, ratings and verdict


Charlton Athletic 4-3-1-2



Doncaster Rovers 4-3-3

Half Time: 1 - 1 The Valley ( Attendance: 25,428 (1,351) (Charlton win 4-3 on penalties after 4-4 aggregate draw) )
1 min

Charlton Athletic will meet Sunderland at Wembley in the League One Play-Off Final after a titanic second-leg clash with Doncaster Rovers was decided by a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

With the two legs tied at 4-4 after extra-time at The Valley, Doncaster captain Tommy Rowe blasted his spot-kick wide meaning Lee Bowyer’s side progressed 4-3 on penalties.

In a game that ebbed and flowed throughout and with the Addicks already 2-1 up from the first leg, they quickly extended their aggregate lead as Krystian Bielik nodded in a Josh Cullen free-kick inside the opening two minutes.

However, a Rowe rocket from the edge of the 18 yard box levelled the game nine minutes later to create palpable tension both on and off the pitch. 

READ MORE:Doncaster Rovers 1-2 Charlton Athletic, League One Play-Off Semi-Final First Leg: quick-fire match report

In a cagey second-half, Doncaster reaped the rewards for their brave approach when Andrew Butler headed in Ali Crawford’s corner at the back post to make it 2-1 on the night and level the scores on aggregate with just two minutes of normal time to play. 

Buoyed by the equaliser, the visitors promptly seized the advantage in extra-time, a lightning break-away led by Alfie May saw John Marquis head in Mallik Wilks cross in the 100th minute of play.

But just 60 seconds later substitute Darren Pratley levelled the tie once again by bundling in Lyle Taylor’s cross to take the game to penalties.

And after Rowe’s decisive miss, The Valley erupted as Charlton’s passage to Wembley for the first time in 21 years was confirmed.

Key Points

Check out all the key talking points and reaction from London Football Scene below…

Key Moment

Darren Pratley’s close range finish in extra-time, a minute after John Marquis’ strike, was crucial in giving the Addicks the confidence to go on and win.

Moan of the Match

Although Charlton have been in scintillating form when they most needed to be dominant it was clear the tension and pressure got the better of them.

Talking Point

The decision to take the penalties in front of the vociferous Charlton North Stand due to safety concerns could be argued gave Charlton’s penalty takers a significant advantage.

Man of the Match

Ben Whiteman – in a game where every player left every ounce of energy they had on the pitch, the Doncaster midfielder was crucial for both breaking up play and starting attacks.

Tweet of the Match

Referee Watch

Gavin Ward (Surrey) – Occasion seemed to affect him as the game progressed with his persistent whistle blowing angering fans and players alike.


An electric atmosphere was maintained from start to finish and had Valley faithful reminiscing of some of the most memorable games over the years.


Charlton showed a different way to get the job done than they have in recent weeks – it wasn’t silky, eye-pleasing football but grit, heart, hard-work and desire.

Line Ups

Charlton Athletic 4-3-1-2

Phillips; Dijksteel, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington; Cullen, Bielik (Solly, 110), Morgan (Pratley, 46); Aribo; Parker (Williams, 95), Taylor

Subs not used:

Pearce, Maxwell, Lapslie, Forster-Caskey


Bielik, Aribo, Pratley

Doncaster Rovers 4-3-3

Marosi; Blair (May, 86), Downing, Butler, Andrew; Rowe, Whiteman, Kane (Crawford, 80); Coppinger (Sadlier, 96), Marquis, Wilks (Wright, 105)

Subs not used:

Lawlor, Anderson, Beeston


Downing, Whiteman, Butler, Marosi

Hire Us

Like what we do? Get in touch and see what we can do for you!

Support Us on Patreon

Find out more about us here and if you like our articles please check out our Patreon page.